Dave Williams Golf Academy
The Dave Williams Golf Academy (DWGA) is a game-changing training facility built exclusively for University of Houston Golf Teams. Located at the Golf Club of Houston, the DWGA adds yet another outlet for the UH players to excel. The Academy was named in honor of former UH golf coach Dave Williams, the father of college golf.
The Golf Academy houses four indoor/outdoor hitting bays with the latest technology. The facility also has a Launch Monitor for players to practice length, dispersion and trajectories of any shot. The SAM PuttLab takes ultrasound measurements of the putting stroke and displays the information in simple graphic reports. Finally, 3D biomechanical measuring system helps refine the way a player’s body should properly move during a golf swing.
The Dave Williams Golf Academy facility is more than 4,400 square feet and was built at the new home course of UH golf, the Golf Club of Houston. A players’ lounge and reception area showcases the rich history of the UH golf program through the decades.
The GCOH boasts a 31,000 square foot teeing area to create a double-ended driving range, featuring nine target areas ranging from 100-300 yards. An extensive short game area includes the following:
- Two large practice putting greens.
– The Tournament Course practice green has miniverde bermudagrass and consists of 10,000 sq ft of putting surface that mimics the contours found on the course. In October each year, this green is overseeded with bentgrass, poa trivialis and perennial ryegrass.
– The Member Course practice green has tifeagle bermudagrass and also boasts a 10,000 sq ft putting surface. This green imitates the subtle breaks found on the hard-to-read Member Course greens.
- Two 6,000 sq ft chipping greens with bunkers that provide the practice enthusiast the opportunity to chip shots from all types of lies and be laser sharp from anywhere.
- A 1.5 acre short game area can accommodate up to 80 yard shots to a 5,000 SF tifeagle burmudagrass green. Players are able to refine their bunker play by practicing out of the 3,000 sq ft of bunkers that surround the green. Tifsport bermudagrass fairways and roughs found on the Member Course were also used for the short game area.